Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Today we celebrated the new year by cooking a 10 pound ham that Seth got as a Christmas gift from work.

Money would've also worked but I suppose the ham will have to do.

We invited Jessie & Andrea (two of my college roommates) and their families over for lunch...and if you're wondering, we didn't make a dent in that ham! But we had a great time with everyone and stuffed ourselves silly. Mostly due in part to the au gratin potatoes I made. And these weren't just any ol' au gratin potatoes. They were the Pioneer Woman's recipe. So you know that means butter, heavy cream, and other things that clog arteries.

Since so many people start the new year with a resolution to lose weight, I thought I'd go ahead and post the recipe I used today :) It is so worth the pounds that may result.

Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin

Ingredients:

4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
1-½ cup Heavy Cream
½ cups Whole Milk
2 Tablespoons Flour
4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
1 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated

Preparation Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.

Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.

In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.

Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving by the spoonful. Delicious!

1 comments:

parsonsfamily said...

Oh my gosh, to say I love pioneer woman is an understatement. Andy and I both agree that she has never let us down and we've (I've) tried lots of her recipes. Glad you guys had fun and miss you guys SOO much.